Saturday 24 October 2015

WiFi Works but no Internet - tried everything



I am the proud owner of a TF201 that has been sitting unused for over a year because the internet stopped working after working fine for years. My WiFi shows connected with 4 bars but the wifi icon stays grey, not blue. I have put many hours into trying to get this thing to work. I have gone through all the posts on all the forums regarding various reasons and solutions for the grey wifi icon. I have made all the suggested changes to my home wifi to no avail. I have the same problem when connecting to my phone hotspot or any other access point. I don't think it's the hardware and I don't think the problem is with the wifi source. It has to be software on the TF201. So I tried all the fixes for the Android configuration and nothing worked. So finally, in desperation, I did a Factory data reset. I also went into recovery and did a data wipe. So then I boot to a new Android 4.1.1 and enter setup. I can select and connect to wifi but the google login fails because, again, no Internet. So I skip the google login and I am left with naked Android with no Internet. Then I decided maybe I could fix it by flashing a new ROM. But before I can do that I need a custom recovery. But before I can install that I need to unlock and root my TF201. So I finally get the Asus unlock tool installed and run it. Only one small problem, it won't work unless it can verify my google account across the Internet which, of course, is broken. So at this point I'm at a loss. Unless you guys can help me I guess I could sell if for parts on Ebay. I would really appreciate it if anyone has any ideas.



No comments:

Post a Comment