Sunday 25 October 2015

USB cable chirality? How to do with "twisted" cables?



You know how when plugged in upright, some USB cables will want to have their flat side up, and others will want to have the flat side down? In other words, if the cable us perfectly straight, my phone would have to lie face down to connect. For other called, it's the opposite. Let's call this "chirality". Why? Because that's what chirality is. Informally called "handedness ".

If you have a cable of the wrong chirality, I believe over the period of years, the constant mild strain on the phone's port might weaken it. Plus, is annoying because the cable wants to flip the phone over while you're holding it.

A 180° twist would switch the chirality. Tying an overhand knot in the end of the cable almost works well, but it twists a little too far. I could also make a lot and twist it just right, then glue it with silicone or cable glue.

I know this seems like a dumb concern, but after two years my last phone had decreased USB connectivity. Has anyone thought about this and found a good solution? I tried to explain chirality to a salesperson in the electronics market today, and she looked at me like I was crazy.



No comments:

Post a Comment